Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Lowryder898

• View Profile
  • United States
Radio connection issues
« on: August 18, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »
Good morning everyone. So this is my tiger build. My stock Taigen board died so I decided to upgrade. Its a little out of my comfort zone but I'm game. The parts list includes a Turnigy 9xr pro and a Fr Sky D8R2 plus receiver. However I can't get the TCB to read the radio. Is the Fr sky not compatible?Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Radio connection issues
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
Hi Lowryder, the TCB requires a PPM, SBus, or iBus receiver. Although documentation for the D8R-II Plus receiver does mention the word "PPM", they are using the word in a different manner than what is typically meant. In fact as the documentation also makes clear, this receiver only outputs 8 conventional PWM channels, therefore it is not compatible.

FrSky makes many receivers however and some definitely can be used. What module do you have in your 9XR Pro? That will determine what receivers you can choose from.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Lowryder898

• View Profile
  • United States
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 02:11:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply. It's a Fr Sky DJT. I'm not stuck on using it. It was part of a stalled drone project I have. I had similar issues on that. This is all new a confusing to say the least.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 03:48:32 PM »
In that case I'd recommend the FrSky D4R-II, listed as a 4-channel receiver but it has a full 8 channels out the PPM port. It is also very small. The other option is the D8R-XP which is basically the same as your D8R-II but adds PPM (the actual PPM). It's larger and more expensive for no benefit since you won't be using the individual channel outputs anyway.

If you want more than 8 channels you would need to upgrade to a different module, I'd recommend the FrSky XJT and an SBus receiver such as the X4R-SB, but for most people 8 channels is plenty.

All this information and more is already in the Wiki. I know it's a lot but if you want to use this product you really need to read through the entire thing. It will answer a lot of questions and save you a lot of trouble in the long run. Good luck!
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Lowryder898

• View Profile
  • United States
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
I took your advice and purchased the FrSky D4R-II. I have also combed through the Wiki and searched othe avenues. I even used the radio amd receiver on my combat robot. Which it worked on. 4 different computers to make sure it wasnt an issue but I still am unable to get the OP to read the radio. Unless I missed an alternative step in the Wiki.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 02:24:08 PM »
Lowryder, what is the exact problem you are having. When you say you can't get it to read the radio, do you mean the TCB does not respond to the radio? Or do you mean that you can't run Radio Setup on the Radio tab in OP Config?

When you connect the receiver to your TCB and apply power, do the red/green LEDs on the TCB continue to blink wildly (meaning, no radio signal detected), or do they turn off (meaning, radio detected)? What happens when you open a Snoop connection to your TCB using the Console utility on the Firmware tab of OP Config - does the TCB spit out information about the radio, or does it say it's still waiting for the radio?

Did you put your D4R-II in PPM mode, meaning, do you have a jumper on CH3-CH4 on the receiver?
Open Panzer FAQs