Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
Steering Problem Halftrack
« on: May 01, 2018, 03:01:47 AM »
Hi Luke,

I have a problem i can't quite figure out. I set up the TCB for halftrack with two ESC's and a steering servo.
Now i had to limit the stroke of the steering servo to 35% - 35% on the transmitter otherwise the wheels would hiyt the fenders.

But what i did not realised is that the tracks now ALSO steer for only 35%... The halftrack is not making a noticable turn at the moment.
Possible solutions crossed my mind:

- Set the min/max on the radio again -> this would probably mean 35% would give me a 100% stroke on the servo again... i don't want that
- Mix a channel on the radio so an Aux channel would follow the throttle and set the AUX to limited stroke -> not possible on the Radiolink AT9
- Use another channel for steering the front wheels -> Need two hands to steer.. Not a good solution
- Change the limits on the ESC's so these will have 35% as 100% -> no good.. It follows throttle also.. and throttle/steering is internally mixed.

Could you help me out here Luke? I'm really stuck..
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
Re: Steering Problem Halftrack
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 03:30:24 AM »
I just started digging through the openpanzer wiki and youtube channel..
Somethings started dawning on me.. The Barrel elevation servo is repurposed..

So this means the end limit settings are also repurposed? Like is shown here?

I will check this but maybe someone can confirm...
Capture.JPG
Steering Problem Halftrack Capture.JPG
Views: 1070

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 04:40:45 AM »
Just some info.. If you set the vehicle type to "Halftrack dual drive" it is not possible to set the RC output on the 4th channel..

*EDIT* And to make matters worse: if i switch to "Tank dual drive" and set barrel elevation to RC i can set the servo end-limits.
But when i set it back to "Halftrack" the servo end-limit settings do not transfer.. So the servo gets full-stroke again..

There is no way to set the end-limits of RC-output 4 when the TCB is set to Halftrack with steering servo..

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 02:48:58 PM »
Presently there is no way to set custom end-points for the steering servo (apart from doing it in your transmitter, which as you point out has unintended consequences in the case of halftracks). This was an oversight on my part.

The steering servo is not the same thing as the barrel elevation servo, they are unique objects in code. It's true the steering servo is routed to output 4 in some cases but it doesn't have to be (it will be output 2 if you have a car or halftrack with single rear wheel drive). Setting the end points on the barrel elevation servo is not the same as setting them for the steering servo.

I will work on adding a servo-setup menu for the steering servo to give the user the ability to set custom end-points on the servo object specifically.

In the meantime, the best thing you can do is what RCers have been doing for decades - move the steering pushrod closer to the center of the servo control horn, and farther out on the steering control horn. I will recommended this no matter what firmware changes I make. Full steering movement with only 35% stick movement is a little silly. Even when I create a way for you to adjust the end points to compensate, doing so will come at the sacrifice of resolution (ie, fine control). Setting up the mechanical control to utilize as much of the servo travel as possible is the first priority, afterwards we use end points and other gimmicks only to fine-tune.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 03:05:54 PM »
Thanks for your reply Luke,

I know that moving the pushrod closer to the center of the servo would be a possible solution.. Alas this is also mechanical impossible.

There is just too much stuff between the servo and the steering rod.. This complete project has one big commonality with all the problems i encountered: lack of space..
No way i can use a shorter servo horn.. It is the last hurdle i have to take to finish this project.. (fortunately i have time ;))..

It would be great if we would have a way to set the end-points of the steering servo.. The resolution wasn't really a problem in this case, 35% worked just fine!

Thank you for all the time you are putting and have already spent in this project!

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 10:42:05 PM »
Ok, I've added another special menu specifically for the steering servo. Enter the menu on the TCB by setting dipswitch 3 ON and 4 OFF then holding the INPUT button for 2 seconds. Then end-point adjustment is the same as for the other servo setups. This will restrict the movement of the servo but will have no effect on the turning percentage for the treads in halftrack mode. You can also reverse the servo direction in this menu without reversing your radio channel, if that is necessary for coordinating the steering servo with the treads.

You will have to update both TCB and OP Config software. Unfortunately this is yet another one of those times when the changes require an erase of all your saved settings, so save an OPZ file in your existing OP Config first, then update the firmware, re-import this OPZ and write it to the TCB.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 12:45:40 AM »
Wow, thanks!!