Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
Gyro Turret lock function
« on: April 17, 2018, 05:03:51 PM »
I happened to come across this:

Ordered one from HobbyKing and it will probably work fine if you would use a servo for turret rotation.

But i was wondering if it would be possible to use the internal drive units on the TCB maybe general I/O in-out?
Seems the Gecko would be a good alternative, but as the TCB has the drives already integrated...
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Gyro Turret lock function
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:04:28 PM »
The Geko is just a brushed speed controller, it's not clear he's even still selling it, but any brushed ESC (with forward and reverse) would work the same (this one from Banggood would be small and cheap). This would let you use your standard HengLong/Taigen turret drive instead of a servo.

The whole setup would be independent of the TCB. Just set your turret rotation to RC Output, attach the gyro unit to RC Output 3 on the TCB and then attach the output of the gyro to your ESC which then controls the turret motor. But yes, that does require you to buy an ESC.

There isn't really a good way to use the onboard drivers in this capacity. The way these inexpensive gyros work is by modifying a standard RC signal. Because the onboard ESCs are precisely that (onboard), there is no RC signal to tap into midway between the processor and the motor driver chips. Nor are we presently able to read a standard RC signal, which is what these gyros put out. Right now the I/O pins only read analog or digital inputs but not PWM.

Theoretically, it may be possible to program the I/O pins to read PWM (although I'm not sure off the top of my head if we have the processor resources to do this). If so, theoretically, it may be possible to send an RC signal out the TCB, into the gyro, then from the gyro back into the TCB through one of the I/O ports, then use that to control the onboard motor driver. This is all theoretical but I think I it is rather complicated and I am not likely to pursue it...
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 08:36:59 AM »
Okay, that's clear. It also just occured to me that the Geko is just an brushed ESC.. i have some stuff lying around and do some tests.
The whole question was to save on the servo connections...

Offline Brian Tulk

• View Profile
  • south australia
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 04:16:39 AM »
hello,johnnyvd and luke, brian from south oz here, did you fit the turret lock set up? i have got in the bits and would  like to give it a try, a wiring diagram would be a great help if you could post one, all is going very well with my tcb set up,very pleased, very reliable, cheers thanks in advance, regards brian

Offline bayou

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 02:32:05 AM »
I happened to come across this:

Ordered one from HobbyKing and it will probably work fine if you would use a servo for turret rotation.

But i was wondering if it would be possible to use the internal drive units on the TCB maybe general I/O in-out?
Seems the Gecko would be a good alternative, but as the TCB has the drives already integrated...

hi together.

this is the most interesting solution i've seen in the last time.
i am thinking about to use a 3-axis-gyro and connect them with RC OUT 3 and 4.
- barrel elevation with a small dig. servo
- turret rotation with an ESC and like shown in the video.

regards
Ulrich

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 01:44:03 PM »
Hi Ulrich,

I was much too busy building a lot of (non OP related) RC tanks.. I recently got several commisions for OP builds again.. So i will start my investigation on the Gyro lock i still have lying around.. Keep you posted!

Cheers, John

Offline bayou

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 04:03:15 PM »
Hi John.

many thanks for your feedback. and no problem. there's no hurry. i am still looking around at ALI for a gyro and i think i have found one which can work.
when i am right can you use one from the I/O port as a switch. this should make it possible to turn on/off/toggle the state from the gryo.
after CNY we'll see more.

regards
Ulrich

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 04:23:45 PM »
when i am right can you use one from the I/O port as a switch. this should make it possible to turn on/off/toggle the state from the gryo.

Ulrich, usually RC gyros which use a second channel to adjust the gyro settings require that channel to be in standard RC PWM format, but the general purpose I/O ports on the TCB are just on/off. So it is unlikely that would work.

However if you have any spare RC outputs on the TCB that you are not using (depends on your setup, but usually a couple end up being free), then you can set that RC output as a "pass-through" and assign it to one of your free Aux channels (on the Functions tab of OP Config). Then you will be able to control your gyro from your radio using that channel, just as if you were using a standard RC receiver.

When you get your gyro and are doing testing let us know if this doesn't make sense and I'll help walk you through it.

You are right though, for now we all have to suffer through Chinese New Year!
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline bayou

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 10:16:04 AM »
Hi Luke.

Many thanks for your support. this was the hint which i've needed.
checked the software for the TCB and it "looks" good.
the order is placed. date for delivery: 20th march

regards
Ulrich

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 06:10:23 PM »
I hope you are very patient! CNY is a real pain every year...
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline bayou

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 09:24:47 AM »
a first prototpye for the turret mounting from servo's
a lot is improvised for testing.
WRA-LEO-01.jpg
Gyro Turret lock function WRA-LEO-01.jpg
Views: 2169

Offline bayou

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 02:50:51 AM »
Hi Luke.

today i want to program the TCB with the pass-through from RC6/RC7 (using the TG-Soundmodul) but i can't "forward" any source. or what can i use to forward the 3-pos-switch?

regards Ulrich

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 12:06:45 PM »
Hi Ulrich, first set your aux channel type to "Analog" and then the passthrough function for that channel will appear in the function list.

This might sound confusing if you source channel is actually a switch, but that is the way passthrough works. It will still pass through whatever the signal is, be it a switch or anything else.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 10:13:26 AM »
Hi Luke.

Many thanks for your support. this was the hint which i've needed.
checked the software for the TCB and it "looks" good.

regards
Ulrich

Hi Ulrich, what Gyro did you order if i may ask??

Offline bayou

• View Profile
  • Germany
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 09:07:45 AM »
Hi John.

it drive me nuts.
yesterday i've written a mail to the manufacturer.
when i switch it on. the "correction" from the gun works but the turret don't turn.
when i switch it into 3d mode - the servo for the gun barrel "turns around" - the programmed angle doesn't match - but the turret turns like i want - left right - great.
also tested in the different modes for "normal plane", flying wing and v-tail ...

regards
Ulrich