Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
Re: Benedini Mini and volume control with 9x pot?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 02:42:12 PM »
Hi all,

Okay, I got the Adafruit amp in the mail last night.  BTW this is what Thomas Benedini wrote back to me regarding hookup:

My Quiry:

Hi Thomas,
I would like to connect the Mini I just received from you to this Adafruit Amplifier:
 https://www.adafruit.com/product/2130?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6efijeu82gIVDlmGCh0FTwlUEAQYASABEgKdn_D_BwE
Is it possible to connect it without the 220 ohm resistor and potentiometer?  Just simply connecting the BEC 5v from the OP TCB to power it and the audio input (Speaker + & -) from the Mini directly to the A+ & A- on the amp?
 I'm really cramped for space in my T55A RC tank, and I'm hoping just cables are needed to use this 2.5W amplifier. 
Thank you for any help, Jerry

His response:

Hello Gerald,
this seems to be possible, by having a look only to the picture.
Having the schematic would be better.
No guarantee on any damages !!!!

I hope this helps.

Best regards
Thomas

So I hooked it up this morning, using a 4 ohm, 1 x 2 inch speaker (Mato sells them, as does Amazon).  I think, not sure, they are rated at 3 watts.  And all worked, volume is more in line with the other tanks, Taigen, HL, etc.  Happy except the cannon sound for the T55A is a little disappointingly soft IMHO.  I plugged a pair (total 4 ohm) speakers, rated 3 watts each, and it worked even better. 

So great outcome, for $3.95 plus shipping. 

Thanks, Jerry

Offline Shorty54

• View Profile
  • MN, USA
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 06:08:23 PM »
Great find Jerry!

I have a couple of these AMPS I bought from Dan at Battle Armor with the TBS minis when he was still in business.
They are larger than the one you have.  I like yours for use in smaller spaces.  I think I might try one to see how it compares.

This was off Battle Armors site;

This little gem produces 15 W X 2 channels of clean sound to give your tank some rumble and punch.

Customized to make hook up to the Benedini TBS quick and simple

Thanks
Shad

unnamed.jpg
Views: 1096

Offline Lotuswins

• View Profile
  • Roseburg, oregon
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 04:38:57 PM »
So back on the original topic of the volume control of the Mini with a pot, I finally got tired of always looking down to see if the volume pot was centered on my tanks with the Mini in them, so I just replaced the 9x pot with a three position switch, spring center off, single pole identical to ON1/ON2 switch.  15k resisters between the center and outer poles, and wired just like the pot (center wire to center pole, and outer wires to outer poles), and put it in place of the P3 pot since I use P2 for all the taigen sound card and IBU2 tanks with servo driven pots and P3 isn't used for anything on any of my tanks. 

And it all works great with only having to reassign channel 7 to P3 rather than P2.  I am very pleased that fiddling with the volume pot isn't required on the tanks with the Mini in them (currently 3....). 

HTH,  Jerry

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »
That's a good idea Jerry, thanks for sharing. I've always wished the 9x had more 3-position switches and I always replace one of the pots with a switch just as you have done, even if you're not using the Benedini it can still useful.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs