Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline jammin

• View Profile
  • Chicago, IL
3 Channel Pistol Grip Radio?
« on: March 14, 2018, 04:45:39 PM »
This may not apply to anyone else, but I am hoping to use my pistol grip radio for my tank as I prefer it for driving ground vehicles. However, obviously it does not have enough channels to control all the functions of the tank. Would it be possible to use the 3rd channel as a switch to change channels 1-2 from driving control to turret control?

In effect, I could be driving my tank around like normal on channels 1-2. Then I could come to a stop, hit the channel 3 button and now the steering wheel rotates the turret and the trigger moves the barrel up and down. Then I could hit channel 3 again and be back to driving mode.

Would that sort of switching of channel outputs be possible?

Thank you,
Jarrod

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: 3 Channel Pistol Grip Radio?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:44:42 PM »
This would technically be possible but may not get placed very high on the priority list. I'm a bit behind on feature requests at the moment and I'm likely to devote time only to the most useful ones until I catch back up and who knows when that will be.

I don't know what brand radio you have but the first question you to ask is whether you can even source a PPM/SBus receiver for it. There are also some pistol grip radios with more than 3 channels, the inexpensive FlySky GT3B / GT3C is very popular and can be hacked to give 8 channels but I'm still not sure there is a receiver for it that would be compatible with the TCB.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline jammin

• View Profile
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 10:02:07 AM »
Thank you for the response Luke! And that is a very good point about the receiver not having Sbus. In that case I will have to get something else.

I have a turnigy 9x for my quads, but I hate how bulky it is so I was hoping to use something sleeker.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 02:46:49 PM »
Well if you do find a pistol grip on a protocol for which PPM/SBus receivers can be purchased I would be interested to know about it. The GT3C is a great transmitter with the community firmware but it runs the original FlySky AFHDS (not AFHDS-2A) protocol for which the receivers were rather plain. It's potentially possible some of the newer AFHDS-2A receivers are dual compatible with the older protocol, but I don't know that for sure and someone would have to give it a try.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

bomber-explosion