Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline oozlum

• View Profile
  • East Sussex
No brakes
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:23:16 AM »
Hi
Can anybody tell me how to get my brakes working.
I have a tracked vehicle with two nine volt motors linked to two ESC’s, when I test the ESC’s using a Frsky D8R-11 Plus RX In PMW mode I get forward, back and stop.
When linked to the TCB with Frsky D8R- XP RX in PPM mode I get forward and back but no brake.
Any ideas please. 

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: No brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »
To apply brakes on the TCB you have to hold your throttle stick in the opposite direction of travel - so if you are moving forward, hold the stick in reverse. If you hold it completely the other direction (maximum reverse) the TCB will come to an immediate stop (full brake).

It may also be that your gearboxes freewheel and that turning the ESCs off doesn't necessarily stop your model. That is a different issue not related to the TCB...
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline oozlum

• View Profile
  • East Sussex
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 08:47:32 AM »
Hi Luke
Thanks for the reply, I was aware how the brakes worked, I have found the answer to my problem.
I have put the Change direction delay to zero and know have full braking.
I tried it with .5 seconds and lost the brakes.
Works for me.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 10:26:15 AM »
Braking works regardless of that setting, but if you're satisfied then that's ok. There is probably something else going on.

Do you have any deceleration constraints specified (momentum)? If not you probably won't notice much effect even when braking since the vehicle will stop as soon as you release the stick anyway.

You can also verify that braking is indeed working by looking at the lights on the board: when both the red and green LED are on solid at the same time, brake is being applied. You can also verify by manipulating the throttle while connected in Snoop mode, the brake command will get printed to the console window whenever active.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline oozlum

• View Profile
  • East Sussex
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 05:22:47 AM »
Hi
I have Inertia set at level 4 with no preset, and Momentum also level 4 with no preset.
Both LED’s are on when the stick is in braking position, no brake.
Snoop shows braking.
I am assuming the brake on the ESC has no effect when used through the TCB.
I have got bored of drones and thought I would try robotics, using a track laying base with a mechanical grab/hand on the front, so braking is important, excellent board by the way.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 11:30:44 AM »
Ok, it makes sense now. I should clarify that the TCB can't issue a "brake" command to an RC speed controller, what we call brake is actually just "stop." Most RC model tanks have so much internal resistance in their gearboxes that as soon you remove power from the motors the vehicle stops immediately.

Now some RC speed controllers do actually have a brake functionality built in to them but as you discovered the TCB may or may not utilize it. Speed controllers used for RC cars typically have two modes which RC car guys call "blinky" and "crawler" (blinky because an LED on the speed control usually blinks in this mode). If the controller only has a single mode it is usually blinky. In blinky mode (used for race cars and such) the ESC has a built-in brake function which is activated by moving the throttle in the opposite direction of travel, the consequence however is that to change direction you have to "double-tap" the throttle: move in the opposite direction once to brake, return to neutral, then move in the opposite direction again to reverse, sometimes after a delay.

The TCB was designed to take care of all this itself in order to give the user simple control through OP Config of how this works (which is why we recommend using "crawler" mode on the ESC, in this mode the ESC does whatever you tell it without delay, and then the TCB can decide if delays need to be introduced). But of course this assumed that your model will stop immediately when power is removed.

In your case it seems your speed controllers are in blinky mode and if we remove the change direction delay on the TCB you are able to brake by using the double-tap method intrinsic to your speed controller.

Now if you were using something like the Pololu or our own Scout serial controllers, those do have explicit brake commands which we can send them over the serial port so in that case you can configure OP Config however you want and they will still literally brake when told to brake, as opposed to just stop (the Sabertooth doesn't have this ability).

I apologize for the confusion and assumptions which were not always clear, but in the end it sounds like you have found a workable solution! I'm glad you're enjoying the project.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline oozlum

• View Profile
  • East Sussex
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 01:23:46 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply.
It does work, but I like to know why it works and you have explained that.
Many thanks