Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
Ideas for the OP Config
« on: February 17, 2018, 03:49:53 AM »
Hi Luke, in the OP Config, I think it would be great if we had the posibility of editing the functions and triggers.

I mean, for example, imagine I programed everything from channel 1 to 16, and then suddenly I notice I did a mistake in lets say channel 7. So far the only way is to remove it and introduce it again, but then this number 7 will be at the end of all what I have done. When programming a lot sounds and functions its easier for me to be able to have them in order. (For exampple makes sense to have all the weapons sound together, the custom sounds in other group and so on) Also when experimenting, saves a lot of time just to be able to edit the function itself. So, I dont know, IMHO the way to go would be to select the programmed function, and then to click in a "Edit function" button or something like that.

Also Id apreciate a lot if you add a pop up confirmation window for uploading and downloading the config to the board. I screwed it several times when pressing the wrong button.

EDIT: Also it wont be a bad idea to be able to move the functions with a mouse!
For example, again, I programmed everything for the 16 channels, and the channel 7 is the one that plays a long custom sound. Then I notice I forgot to add the stop sound option! So after adding it to the list, it would be great if I could drag between aux 7 and 8 instead of being next to the 16th.

I guess I am, very organized, sorry. Say thanks to my mom and her slippers, lol.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • Kansas, USA
Re: Ideas for the OP Config
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 08:38:17 PM »
Hi Luke, in the OP Config, I think it would be great if we had the posibility of editing the functions and triggers.
I will consider this, I agree it would be useful. The question is how practical it will be to program, for that I will need some time to experiment.

Also Id apreciate a lot if you add a pop up confirmation window for uploading and downloading the config to the board. I screwed it several times when pressing the wrong button.
I am not excited about this suggestion. In my long experience with software interfaces, pop-up confirmations are useful in the early stages of learning a new program, but become impediments once you have it figured out. You will quickly memorize which button is which and after that the pop-up message would be entirely unnecessary, in fact it will become a bitter annoyance to dispense with every single time you want to read or write. Already if you hover your mouse over the read/write buttons a tool-tip message will appear to remind you what the function is.

However I may be able to add another message in the status area (bottom of the screen) on mouse-hover of these buttons, which might also help.

EDIT: Also it wont be a bad idea to be able to move the functions with a mouse!
Are you aware that the items in the list can be sorted just by clicking the header row (click Function or Trigger to sort by those columns, keep clicking to switch between ascending or descending). I don't know if it will be possible to re-arrange the items manually but I think sorting will address some of your frustrations and is an easy way to see if you have missed some assignments/have illogical combinations/etc...
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 04:11:03 AM »
Hi there. My confirming pop up window request comes because I screwed it several times. I know when hovering the mouse over the arrow it says what is going to do and I already know what those buttons do... But you know, shit happens, lol. If a pop up window is annoying for somebody, I guess you can always add a small button with "Ok, dont ask me again" or something like that...

Regarding the header row... I had no idea! One problem less! :D

Offline Ncartmell

• View Profile
  • Poulton-Le-Fylde, Lancashire. UK
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 04:08:52 PM »
Hello Luke,
Could I make a suggestion for Op Config.

Could you add another button on the left after Firmware called "Test".
After selecting, this would for example, give the user buttons to test all outputs of the TCB. Discretes On/Off, Fwd, Rev, Left, etc. This would need a test config to be downloaded into the TCB, via another button.

This would enable the user to test a TCB without using  Tx/Rx, it would thereby eleminate a faulty radio and user programming errors. Useful for existing installations and new TCBs.

A test page for the Scout and Op Sound would also be useful, again this would need a test setup for Op Sound.

Just a suggestion ☺

Best Regards

Neil

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • Kansas, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 07:21:35 PM »
Hi Neil, this is indeed a good idea and one which I have thought of myself, but it didn't occur to me until a few years into the project (this has been in development since 2011). Unfortunately the way the TCB firmware was organized from the beginning makes this essentially impossible at the present moment without a major overhaul, or as you suggest some kind of custom firmware to be used only during testing, which however poses its own set of problems and complexities.

Accomplishing something like this for the Scout or sound card would not be as bad since they are by design expecting to receive commands from the serial port anyway. However since neither of those products is even available the benefit/cost ratio of that time investment is not presently very high.

Anyway I'm agreeing with you about the desirability of this feature, especially for the TCB. No one has spent more time testing this thing than myself and I often wished I had thought ahead to incorporate this ability! I've added your suggestion to the public To-Do list but to be honest that list is more a wish-list of things which are not likely to ever get done unless the project attracts further developers.

Relatively straightforward features and bugs never make it to that list, I work on them right away and they get included in routine firmware updates. The To-Do list is stuff that would be nice to have but would take more time than I have available to me.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
Open Panzer FAQs