Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
Re: Sound ideas
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 03:12:06 PM »
Hi Luke great you have updated the code.

User sounds - Stop All. Is indeed very usefull, thank you very much for adding it.

Transmision engage delays, 60 seconds. I think it is way more than enough for everybody. Me included. Thanks again!

Toggle smoke - Thanks once more  :) :) :) Even when I like the tank to keep controlling the smoke output, sometimes I just need to switch it off at will.

The delay for the user sounds:
I thought about two ways for triggering them, both includes a bit of radio programming. The first way as you mention, is to select the sound with the 6 position switch, and then use another switch to trigger it, and the second I have is to program the switch to have a small delay up. So when turning the 6 pos switch, I have enough time for turning it to the desired position before the requested sound starts playing. A small delay of half a second or even less is OK.

This works, and works very well, but I just was worried about people with non programable radios, or people that just dont know how to do it...

But yeah, I understand it can be crazy complicated to program, hard to configure for most users, and even hard to explain and might bring more harm than good, so I think it might be better to leave it as it is.

So if somebody wants to play the users like me, it is possible.

And now, another idea that I had today while creating sounds:
A rev up sound when stopped. Some people might like to be able to rev up their tanks when stopped... Currently we can play a rev up user sound, but the motor idle is still  there... So I dont know, it might be cool to be able to play that sound, and muting the idling motor sound at the same time.

Please take it just as an idea, not as a request.

And dont worry, I will keep scratching my head to see if there is something else we could add, lol.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 03:38:43 PM »
And now, another idea that I had today while creating sounds:
A rev up sound when stopped. Some people might like to be able to rev up their tanks when stopped... Currently we can play a rev up user sound, but the motor idle is still  there... So I dont know, it might be cool to be able to play that sound, and muting the idling motor sound at the same time.
Actually I don't think there is a way to play the rev sound manually, unless you create one and add it as a User Sound, in which case I agree that would sound odd with the idle sound in the background.

However, this is why the transmission disengage function was included since the earliest days of the TCB. Disengage the transmission, and then you can use the throttle stick to rev the engine all you want without the tank moving. When you want to drive again, re-engage the transmission.

Have I understood correctly?
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 05:35:32 AM »
Thats a good way to have that rev up sound.

Ill try to have some beta radial Sherman sounds this weekend. I redid all the side sounds (turret, cannon, user sounds and so on)

I am struggling with the motor, but lets see how it goes... Dont wait something special or outstanding, but hey, I am sure somebody will like them.

At least when I drive my tanks people seems to like how it sounds...

Ill probarbly upload the beta sounds, my OP config file and my ersky9x model (Using 9xtreme)

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 11:44:43 AM »
Hi, I did a small video showing that the use of a rotary switch for the user sounds is possible:

I had to set a small delay up and a delay down of 0,6. Works wonderfully.

The setup is conceived for being a platoon commander tank. First sound is a horn (not sure if the real sherman sound horn sounded like that)but I am including also the real sound of the Mars Sherman siren, so you can choose the one that suits you better.

The rest of the sounds are instructions to other platoon members. Kinda cool to direct the platoon just with the tank, doesnt it?

Music, marches, anthems, and battle sounds are for the sound banks.

EDIT: Yeah, the lipo showed in the video has seen better days. It will go to the bin today. I am swaping all my batteries to Nimh.

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 10:02:47 AM »
Sometimes terrifyes me to see how fast the time flyes, my godness. Several years since I opened this thread... But I hope is not too late for adding new features!

After having user sounds in this board, some other boards followed the path and included the function or expanded the number of available sounds too. The thing is, now I am used to play 24 user sounds, and so far, with the OP soundcard we can play """""only"""" 12. Could you please update the code so we can play up to 24? This is specially useful and enjoyable when directing tank platoons and giving all the orders to the other tanks in meetings or while playing with the children.

Now I also trigger those functions using another logic switches combinations. A 6 position switch plus 4 push buttons at the back of the radio. So when the switch is in position 1, I have 4 commands easily triggeable, in position 2 another 4, in position 3 another 4, so that makes 12 and would be amazing to have until 24 commands and I will love you even more, lol.

Another function that I'd like to add, if possible, is a delay between the sound bank auto loop play. Could it be possible to manually set the delay? Something between 30 to 45 seconds would be fine. If not, I can always add silence at the end of each track.

Would it be possible?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 01:16:11 PM by Rad_Schuhart »

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2021, 01:42:27 AM »
World is a napkin. The other day I found Heclo in a Facebook group and we were talking about the board and user sounds. I told him I wanted to have more and he wrote the code (Attached file)

That is amazing, big thanks, Heclo. It would be great if you include this in future releases, Luke.

Unfortunately I cannot test it because my SD card reader has died. I just ordered one, but over the paper it should work. :)

EDIT 16.01.2022

The software linked in this post does not work. Please scroll down to the reply 26, a working firmware has been uploaded there.
24 sounds.rar
(852.95 kB ~ Downloads: 169)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 02:46:52 PM by Rad_Schuhart »

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2021, 05:55:23 AM »
Hi Rad, nice to hear from you again, I'm glad you're still playing with your tanks.

In regards to making 24 sounds available, this is a change I am not inclined to make. Of course it is possible, and I do not like to say no, but I have to draw the line somewhere and I think there are very few people on the planet who will use that many.

However it should be possible to create a delay in the sound banks. I do not have much free time the rest of this month but I will set a reminder to myself at the first of the new year to look into it. I will let you know when it is done.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2021, 01:23:15 PM »
Hi Luke, yes, indeed I might be the only person in the planet willing to use the 24 user sounds with the Open Panzer, but well, if it is easy to add (or even is already done), why not? It wont hurt.

Great you want to implement the new sound delay function, but the problem for me will be that if I update to your next software version, I will lose the 24 user sounds that Heclo added, is that correct?

I wish I could write the code myself. Is there any easy way that I can add the Heclo add-on to future releases of your software?

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2021, 07:02:33 AM »
The files you posted from Heclo are not the source code, they are the compiled hex files. I can not examine the code from those. I can tell however there are some bugs in his version of OP Config. Heclo can make changes very quickly because he is not creating documentation, GitHub releases, testing compatibility, merging changes from the official repository, taking into consideration the entire population of users, and lots of other administrative tasks. This is not a criticism at all, he is a great programmer and I am glad for him to play with the code as much as he wants. But he has the luxury of being only a programmer, whereas here we have to manage a very large project.

Anyway, the question isn't so much whether it is easy or hard to make these change, but of balance. Each new user sound requires 3 functions (play, stop, repeat) so adding 12 more makes 36 new functions. Now everybody has to scroll through 36 more entries in the function list even though no one will use them, no one is even using the original 12. There is also a limit to how many functions we can have, we have not reached the limit yet, but I'd rather save them for things that are more useful to more people. For these reasons alone I do not believe it is a good idea.

You are right that if I create a new update and you use my version, then of course you will lose whatever changes are in Heclo's version. At the same time if you use Heclo's version, even today, you do not have any changes that have been made to the official project since 0.93.71 because that is when he branched off.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2021, 12:03:53 PM »
Agree with the infinite list of functions, but also I think it that can be polished a bit. Of course I am just one user of the many in the planet, but for example I believe Instead of having the function "User sound X stop" in my opinion is enough with the function "User sounds stop all". I have never ever used "User sound X stop" function. Neither "user sound X repeat", if I want to repeat a sound, I just trigger it again.

And all the other functions, for example triggering on and off lights, I only use toggle. But hey, that is just me, lol.

But anyway, thanks for your time and I understand this function almost nobody else will use it. Pity, I love user sounds most than anything else.

Anyway Ill keep an eye on future OP Config releases with that delay between sound banks, maybe I can add the extra user sounds myself and at least I will learn something trying!

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2022, 01:08:55 PM »
Small but important update here. I lacked SD card reader so I could not test it until the one I ordered arrived. Took ages to arrive from the far East, sigh...

Well, the thing is, the version with 24 user sounds that Heclo did is not working correctly, but he is working in a new one. I (or he) will upload it here as soon as we have a version working.

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2022, 02:45:10 PM »
Ok, sooner than expected, the fix is here. Big thanks to Mr Heclo. :)
Extra user sounds.rar
(181.02 kB ~ Downloads: 146)