Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
Sound ideas
« on: February 16, 2018, 03:18:55 PM »
Hi Luke, I am finishing some radial engine Sherman sounds. I hope to have them ready in a week or so ;D The amount of sounds the board is programed to play is adequate, but I would add the following:

1 - When the engine off, it would be cool to have a sound of manual hand cranking turret.
2 - A third machine gun sound? My Sherman has 4 machine guns! I know that is not normal, but I know some people with 3... The hull one, the turret one and the tank commander one.
3 - Auxiliar light sounds. At least another two. One could be a searchlight, and another for convoy lights, maybe even blinkers...
4 - User sounds: I love the custom user sounds more than anything else. If possible I would like to have another 6... But the more, the better!
I know for triggering those extra sounds we could be running out of channels... But there is where we could start doing mixes with the radio...

Due to I have my entire armored division in diverse states of repairs, I cant test the IR combat, but is there any "damaged" sound? Damaged idler or something like that? If not, I think it would be a good idea to include at least a "damaged idler" sound.

And I think thats all... For now, lol.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: Sound ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 03:24:10 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Rad.

1 - Yes, I can create an alternate turret rotation sound that will play when the engine is off.

2 & 3 - We could perhaps add even more MG and light sounds, but these extra sounds are precisely what the customizable user sounds are for so I'm not sure it's necessary for me to do so. If you want another light sound, assign it to a user sound and then trigger that user sound with the same trigger that you use for the light. Rather than clog the function list (and take up extra code space/memory) with very specific things few people will want, it is better to give them flexible functions that can be used for many purposes depending on the need.   

4. Yes, we can add more user sounds.

5. I'm not sure how a damaged idler sound would be implemented. Presumably it would only play while the tank was moving, but is it just going to be on repeat? Perhaps a better idea is to create a trigger for Vehicle Damaged, and a function to enable/disable squeaks. You could then assign the vehicle damaged trigger to the enable squeaks function, and use some/all of the squeak sounds for your "damaged idler" or whatever.

With regards to running out of channels - I may consider increasing the number of switch positions that the TCB can process from aux channels. Currently you can select a 2-position or 3-position switch but these can probably be increased. Of course most transmitters do not have switches with greater than 3 positions, unless you install a custom switch or create a special virtual switch using advanced mixes in your transmitter. Most people won't mess with that which is why I didn't go over 3 in the original development, but there will always be some weirdos like you who push the envelope. ;D
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 04:47:27 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Rad.

1 - Yes, I can create an alternate turret rotation sound that will play when the engine is off.

Great!

2 & 3 - We could perhaps add even more MG and light sounds, but these extra sounds are precisely what the customizable user sounds are for so I'm not sure it's necessary for me to do so. If you want another light sound, assign it to a user sound and then trigger that user sound with the same trigger that you use for the light. Rather than clog the function list (and take up extra code space/memory) with very specific things few people will want, it is better to give them flexible functions that can be used for many purposes depending on the need.   

Thats an idea... But just in the case you add more sounds. I mean, if we only have 6 custom sounds, I preffer to be able to play wagner music instead of just a diferent "click" for a light, lol.

4. Yes, we can add more user sounds.

Great, with more sounds then what you mention above is fine.

5. I'm not sure how a damaged idler sound would be implemented. Presumably it would only play while the tank was moving, but is it just going to be on repeat? Perhaps a better idea is to create a trigger for Vehicle Damaged, and a function to enable/disable squeaks. You could then assign the vehicle damaged trigger to the enable squeaks function, and use some/all of the squeak sounds for your "damaged idler" or whatever.

My idea is a bit like the tamiya electronics and other aftermarket ones are... When damaged or very damaged, to replace the idler sound with something that sounds... Damaged, lol.

With regards to running out of channels - I may consider increasing the number of switch positions that the TCB can process from aux channels. Currently you can select a 2-position or 3-position switch but these can probably be increased. Of course most transmitters do not have switches with greater than 3 positions, unless you install a custom switch or create a special virtual switch using advanced mixes in your transmitter. Most people won't mess with that which is why I didn't go over 3 in the original development, but there will always be some weirdos like you who push the envelope. ;D

There are not enough buttons and switches in a radio. No matter how many you install, just there are not enough!

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 04:53:48 PM »

My idea is a bit like the tamiya electronics and other aftermarket ones are... When damaged or very damaged, to replace the idler sound with something that sounds... Damaged, lol.

Ok I see you mean "idle" sound. When you said "idler" I thought you meant some kind of squeak on the idler wheel. Now I understand what you mean and I am reminded of the way Tamiya does this. Yes that is a good idea and I will add it.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 10:14:28 PM »
Just an update for those reading this thread, the soundcard firmware released today addresses many of these requests:

• The manual turret rotation sounds have been added, that will play when the engine is off. They are turret_m.wav (the repeating sound) and you can optionally specify a sound to play once at the start of the loop (tr_strtm.wav) and once at the end of the loop (tr_stopm.wav). If you don't need manual turret sounds, just ignore these files and the regular turret sounds will play at all times whether the engine is running or not.
  • I did not add a 3rd machine gun sound but I did increase the number of user sounds from 6 to 12.
  • I've added a second light sound that can be set to play automatically whenever the Light 2 (L2 output on TCB) is turned on or off (the setting is on the Sounds tab of OP Config). For more such sounds you can use the user sounds.
  • An alternate "damaged" idle sound has been added, enidle_d.wav. It works the same way as Tamiya, after you receive your first IR hit this alternate idle sound will be played whenever the vehicle is not moving.
A related request was to support 6-position switches for those who have modified their transmitters, these could be used to play 6 user sounds from a single control. That option was added, you will need to update both OP Config and TCB firmware, see this post for a description.

I know there will always be a desire for more and more sound options. Hopefully these additions will help a little bit, even if they don't satisfy all desires.

Another user on RCU mentioned to me having the option of a "sound bank" that could hold multiple sound files and then a function available to play one of them randomly, this might be good for musical numbers and such. I thought it was a good idea and plan to implement something along those lines in an upcoming firmware update. I am still working out the details of it, but this will be in addition to the 12 user sounds already implemented.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 04:04:14 AM »
Excelent news in the updates, thank you very much. One of the things I like most are the sound banks, and that feature is not present (or very, very limited) in most of the other aftermarket boards. So yeah, it is great to have a lot of extra sounds.

Also I think I already told you somewhere, maybe through private message (yeah, no private messages, lol) or in one of the forums... But for future hardware updates in the open panzer sound card, I think it will be AMAZING to have some light output features. Like 5/6 programmable light outputs that I can configure for headlights, machine guns and so on.

Due to the sound card can be used stand alone, I see a lot of future for a sound card like that and I would use them in a lot of projects that I have, starting at some buildings (switching lights in houses, simulating fires in buildings, machine guns, a searchling in a tower...) to a what if... 1946 flying saucer of doom and death.

Really, if this board is developed, as far as I know there is nothing out there like that. Other competitor sound boards are just crazy expensive and very limited in sound quantity and quality... So it will be insta-buy for some guys like me. I dont know if that would be too hard or time consuming for you... But Id love to have a unit like that.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 08:08:19 PM »
I do remember the suggestion to add some light outputs to the sound card and I am considering it. It is a good suggestion. Probably I would not put quite so many as 6 but maybe a couple. Adding these is not so difficult in terms of hardware although the more components you add obviously the larger the board becomes. The real work is in creating all the options for the user to manipulate them.

Already I have realized that when used by itself in RC mode the sound card is going to need its own configuration program similar to OP Config for the TCB. I have started on this but it has a long way to go still, even though I am trying to keep it relatively simple...
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 04:24:46 AM »
Great you are considering to add the light outputs. Well, Im not saying it will be easy, because I have no idea of how to do it, lol, but in the benedini micro it takes next to nothing space in the tiny board and it has something like 10 light outputs... It would be awesome to have something about 5/6 light outputs. Due to the sound card can play so many sounds it would be a pity to not to use them along with the lights. With only 2 light outputs you are very limited...

For example Id use that sound card in the upcoming sdkfz 222. Headlights, rearlights, convoy lights, main gun light, machine guns... Looks like I love the things that glow in the dark, lol.

So, if it is easy (or not very hard) for you to add a decent bunch of light options, why to limit what honestly can be the best sound card in the market? A lot of people from the world of rc trucks might be interested on it too. Most of those trucks have tons of lights.

About its own program, yes, it is a good idea, specially if you want to program the lights work (blinking, steady, flashing etc) But instead of doing another program for just the sound board, I´d add a window for the sound board in the Open panzer config program.

Offline Rad_Schuhart

• View Profile
  • Graz, Austria.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 02:52:41 PM »
Hi Luke, another thing that I dont know it it exist right now... When using custom sounds (long music files for example) could you add the option for stopping all the sounds?
I mean, lets say I have 12 long ambient music, I think it would be cool to have an option like "User sound ALL (Instead of a number)  - Stop. That would be easier to program and will take less outputs.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »
That should be possible, I will add it to the To-Do list. Hopefully you will not be playing 12 sound files simultaneously, that would sound really awful. But I don't think it will be hard to add this feature so I will do it anyway. I'll let you know when it is completed.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 03:53:27 PM »
Luke, i have the idea that i asked this before (and you probably answered) but is it possible to have different "reloaded" sounds?

My commander yells "Gun reloaded" all the time, this gets boring in time.. Maybe there can be multiple sounds like "next target" that can be chosen randomly?

Cheers, John
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 09:20:23 PM »
It is possible, if I do it! I will add it to my list and let you know when I can get it done.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 03:31:51 PM »
Luke, i have the idea that i asked this before (and you probably answered) but is it possible to have different "reloaded" sounds?

My commander yells "Gun reloaded" all the time, this gets boring in time.. Maybe there can be multiple sounds like "next target" that can be chosen randomly?

Hi John, this has been added in the latest release (0.93.49). You only need to update the sound card firmware for this one. Previously the reloaded sound was called "reloaded.wav" but that has changed. Now there are 5 possible sounds and the file names must be:
- reload_1.wav
- reload_2.wav
- reload_3.wav
- reload_4.wav
- reload_5.wav

You don't have to specify all 5 if you don't have that many, just omit the ones you don't need.

As always the full list of sound file names can be found in the Wiki. Here is the link to the TCB list. The list is different when used in RC mode, the page for that is here.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline johnnyvd

• View Profile
  • Netherlands
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 03:54:14 PM »
Great! Thanks.. I will start on this tomorrow!
* E-75 / E-100 PAK44 "monster" - in progress
* Sturmjagdtiger PAK44 - in progress
* pz.kpfw KV-2 754(r) - in progress
* T-34 88mm "Kurland Tiger" - in progress

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 03:57:52 PM »
Hi Luke, another thing that I dont know it it exist right now... When using custom sounds (long music files for example) could you add the option for stopping all the sounds?
I mean, lets say I have 12 long ambient music, I think it would be cool to have an option like "User sound ALL (Instead of a number)  - Stop. That would be easier to program and will take less outputs.

Hi Rad, this has been added in the latest release (0.93.49). You will need to update the sound card firmware, the TCB firmware, and OP Config. The new function is called User Sounds - Stop All.

I will mention a few other changes here that you requested in a PM, which are also included in 0.93.49:

Quote from: Rad_Schuhart
Transmision engage delays: I am using a long cold start sound. (longer than those 20 seconds) Could it be rised longer? 45 secs should be OK, but I dont know, 99 might be even better just in case some people wants to add an commander speech or something.
I have increased the maximum time to 60 seconds. I can't go beyond that without changing the variable data type and involving some other complications. I'm not sure how often one wants to wait a full minute before they can start driving their tank, so hopefully that is long enough.

Smoke: There is "smoke on" "smoke off" but unlike the rest of options, there is no "Toggle smoke on/off" could you please add that? It will save one switch and makes sense to have everything in the same switch.
To be clear, there actually was a toggle smoke function but only for the automatic smoker. You are correct there was no toggle function for the smoker output when under manual control. I have added one.

Some delay when playing user sounds: I am using a rotary 6 pos switch for selecting the sounds. If I rotate it fast to play a sound, it plays all the sounds on its way. I mean, if the user sound I want to play is the sixth and I have the switch in position one, when I rotate it, it starts playing all of them. If it is complicated or might cause problem to other users, just tell me, I think I can program the radio to have a slight delay in that rotary.
I understand what you are trying to accomplish, but I could not conceive of a good way to implement this. For those triggering user sounds via a switch, you would not want a delay and a delay would in fact be a nuisance. We could then add a user-option to introduce a delay or not, which is more effort, but even then, we aren't asking it necessarily to "wait a moment before playing this sound," we are asking it to "wait a moment and see if I decide to play another sound first." That is even more complicated. So I have decided not to pursue this.

Even if you introduce delays in your transmitter you will have the same problem. I think what you actually want to do is have the rotary knob do the selection, but not actually trigger the signal until you flip another switch (select sound with knob, send selection with switch). I have seen this same arrangement used in other applications so I know it is possible to program your transmitter in such a way if you are using a programmable transmitter. I believe it only requires a basic channel mix.
Open Panzer FAQs

bomber-explosion