Registration Notice

Due to increased spam, forum registration must be manually approved by a moderator! Please see this post for instructions.

Offline sergevk

• View Profile
  • Russia
TCB project from scratch (based on Arduino Mega mini)
« on: January 25, 2018, 04:30:01 AM »
Hello,

I would like to show my small achievements based on OpenPanzer project. General purpose for me - create self-made flexible
control board based on simple and available components. I've purchased components on the AliExpress, but most of them can be found on Ebay too.
Information for build got from here:
- http://openpanzer.org/forum/index.php?topic=16.0
- http://openpanzer.org/forum/index.php?topic=16.msg70#msg70
- http://www.openpanzer.org/downloads/tcbmk1/eagle/OpenPanzer_TCB_Mk1_Schematic.pdf

Parameters of TCB:
- Radio: iBus protocol (I didn't support for sBus, because I don't have them)
- Main motors: built-in controller, up to 14A current (30A peak)
- Turret rotation: Servo (at the moment regular Taigen mechanism with external ESC is used; will be remade)
- Barrel elevation: Servo
- Recoil: Servo
- Management: bluetooth

Components:
- Arduino Mega Mini, Main component for all system
- Monster Shield (single), 2 items, motor H-bridge, used as Built-in driver. I've tried Monster Shield for 2 motors, but all of them were broken.
- Bluetooth SPP-c module, management component.
- AMS1117-5V, module for power servos. One module up to 800mA current.
- Sockets: JST-XH; PCB 2.54 pin headers (male and female); power socket
- DIP switch (6 positions; 2 - tank class, 2 - servo configuration, 1 - fire/repair mode, 1 - bluetooth/usb management mode )
- Transistor BC337
- Several resistors
- Button
- Couple of LEDs (red and green)

Original thread here: https://tankspb.com/index.php?topic=754.0 (Russian language)

WP_20180108_21_54_03_Pro.jpg
TCB project from scratch (based on Arduino Mega mini) WP_20180108_21_54_03_Pro.jpg
Views: 1982
WP_20180111_18_33_53_Pro.jpg
TCB project from scratch (based on Arduino Mega mini) WP_20180111_18_33_53_Pro.jpg
Views: 1551
WP_20180111_18_34_02_Pro.jpg
TCB project from scratch (based on Arduino Mega mini) WP_20180111_18_34_02_Pro.jpg
Views: 1613
WP_20180111_18_35_03_Pro.jpg
TCB project from scratch (based on Arduino Mega mini) WP_20180111_18_35_03_Pro.jpg
Views: 1550
WP_20180111_19_04_45_Pro.jpg
TCB project from scratch (based on Arduino Mega mini) WP_20180111_19_04_45_Pro.jpg
Views: 1383
MegaMini_bb.jpg
TCB project from scratch (based on Arduino Mega mini) MegaMini_bb.jpg
Views: 448

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
Re: TCB project from scratch (based on Arduino Mega mini)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 01:53:51 PM »
Sergey I am impressed with your comprehension of the project and your familiarity with circuits. Because you have grasped the basic principles you were easily able to adapt them to your own purposes. I can tell you have an inquisitive mind and probably also some prior experience. But this is how I have learned everything I know, by studying other people's projects.

I recommend anyone curious to know more about Sergey's project to read through his Russian thread - Google translate does a very good job for English speakers and he has many more details there.

Sergey like you I have I have had success with the single version of the Chinese motor drivers but I have encountered problems with some others, for example I have ordered the motor chips by themselves and been sent defective ones. There are versions of the dual board made in the US (for example here and here) but of course they are expensive and if you are spending that much money you might as well buy an actual serial motor controller.

It is very satisfying to see other people use this project in unique ways. Thank you for sharing your experiments!
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - Read why
Need a forum account? Read here
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline sergevk

• View Profile
  • Russia
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 03:06:56 PM »
Hello,

Luke, thank you for the so positive feedback on my humble experiments! By my opinion OpenPanzer is a perfect project, which gain possibility to adjust electronic components for our needs with no dependencies from big vendors such as Taigen, Tamiys, Clark, etc.
I'm trying to popularize TCB in our Saint-Petersburg club (with Deny).

Thank you for share you experience with other motor drivers - I've seen some of them, but their parameters price/quality isn't optimal (quality, I think, good, but price is too high for self-made items). One of general problem at the moment - no available sound card (may be Open Source Sound will be available to purchasing soon :) ).

I would like to propose several improvements (of course if current theme ok for this):
- OP Config: add vertical scroll bars (if it possible)
My laptop has screen resolution 1366x768, and part of items on tabs are inaccessible in full-screen (for example Driving \ Turning Adjustments). It would be nice, if vertical scrollbars appears when content can't fit to the screen.
- Damage profile: Add one more damage profile (to Experimental \ Tamiya) without speed degradation.
At the moment in our club most of tanks are Taigen \ HengLong. And in OpenPanzer we can set IR protocol to Taigen - but all Taigen MFU doesn't have speed decreasing after hit - it's gain advantage to them. I think, that damage profile without decreasing speed can equalize chances.
- Triggers: Cannon reloaded; Cannon shoot
These triggers can help to realize some interesting effects, cartridge ejection after shoot, enable/disable LEDs reload cannon or something else.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with QT, but another features I'll try to realize.

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 06:05:07 PM »
Hi Sergey, my apologies for the slow response. Here are some comments:

One of general problem at the moment - no available sound card (may be Open Source Sound will be available to purchasing soon :) ).
I am still working on the hardware of the sound card (new version will have 10 watt amplifier). This is a slow process that involves making several prototypes and between each test it takes many weeks to order new boards, etc... Also even if the design is completed and works perfectly, there is still a big challenge to make it available for sale. I can create designs and make them public, but that is where my influence ends. Some person or company has to put up a lot of money and manufacture it. We can be hopeful but there is no guarantee this will ever happen.

- OP Config: add vertical scroll bars (if it possible). My laptop has screen resolution 1366x768, and part of items on tabs are inaccessible in full-screen (for example Driving \ Turning Adjustments). It would be nice, if vertical scrollbars appears when content can't fit to the screen.
I agree this is a problem and some others have mentioned it. I would have fixed it already if I could. It would seem to be a simple request, but for complicated reasons it is nearly impossible without a complete re-design of the OP Config interface. I have tried several times and failed. Qt is not very easy to manipulate in this area, or anyway that has been my experience. It seems strange that I have been able to write a complete Windows application from scratch but been unable to add scroll-bars to it, but that is the truth. The problem is very difficult. We really need an experienced Qt developer to take a look at it. 

- Damage profile: Add one more damage profile (to Experimental \ Tamiya) without speed degradation. At the moment in our club most of tanks are Taigen \ HengLong. And in OpenPanzer we can set IR protocol to Taigen - but all Taigen MFU doesn't have speed decreasing after hit - it's gain advantage to them. I think, that damage profile without decreasing speed can equalize chances.
This is a good idea and I will add it. I think the entry we want is "None" - in other words, damage is disabled. Of course hit count will still be registered but there will be no damage (speed reduction).

- Triggers: Cannon reloaded; Cannon shoot. These triggers can help to realize some interesting effects, cartridge ejection after shoot, enable/disable LEDs reload cannon or something else.
These are also good ideas and I will add them too.

I will try to release an update with these changes soon, probably within the next week.

Open Panzer FAQs

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 09:54:33 PM »
Hi Sergey, I just posted a firmware & OP Config update. You will see now a "None" option for the Damage Settings on the Battle tab of OP Config.

And you will see a new trigger for "cannon reloaded" on the Function tab.

After thinking about it I did not add a "cannon fire" trigger. The reason is that cannon fire is already a function. To fire the cannon you have to assign some trigger to it, for example a switch on your transmitter. If you want another function to occur when the cannon is fired, simply assign that other function to the same switch. You can assign multiple functions to the same trigger. I hope this makes sense.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline sergevk

• View Profile
  • Russia
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »
Luke, thank you for so fast implementation of features!

Offline LukeZ

• View Profile
  • France
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 03:51:52 PM »
- OP Config: add vertical scroll bars (if it possible). My laptop has screen resolution 1366x768

Sergey, see this thread for further information on this topic, I've posted a test version of OP Config that may help you with your screen size.
Open Panzer FAQs

Offline sergevk

• View Profile
  • Russia
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 04:19:31 PM »
Thank you Luke, test OP_config looks perfectly.